GROUP THERAPY temporarily suspended 3/23-4/3. Current participants call the Counseling Center to arrange individual support if needed.
- Monday 3:00-4:30 p.m., Anxiety Group.
- Monday 3:30-5:00 p.m., International Student Support Group.
- Tuesday 2:00-3:00 p.m., No Phone, New Friends Group.
- Wednesday 3:30-5:00 pm., Healthy Boundaries Group.
- Wednesday 5:30-7:00 pm. every other week, Sista Circle - at CME.
- Thursday 1:00-2:30 pm., Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Group.
- Friday 1:00-2:30 p.m., Family Relationship Group.
- Friday 3:00-5:00 pm. Game to Grow Group.
Group counseling provides students with the opportunity to connect with others in a safe, confidential and supportive space. Groups allow students to share about their experiences with others who can understand and relate to their concerns, connect across differences to learn new perspectives, and experiment with new ideas, behaviors, and ways of being or interacting. Through group engagement, students develop insights and skills that can be used through the challenges they face and improve their quality of life.
Some benefits of group counseling include:
- Increase self-awareness and understanding of others
- Connect with others who have similar problems and experiences
- Decrease isolation and loneliness
- Receive multiple perspectives on your concerns
- Enhance the quality of relationships
- Experience meaningful and authentic connections with others
- Develop new, healthier ways of relating to others
- Identifying, experiencing and expressing feelings with greater ease
- Increase confidence and self-esteem
- Increase ability to give and receive honest feedback
- Internalize lessons lessons learned by helping others in the group
(Source: Texas Women's University Counseling and Psychological Services)
*Groups take place in the Student Health Center, on the second floor in the Counseling Center's group room. Enroll by scheduling an assessment and pre-group orientation.
Please call 319-273-2676 to schedule your assessment.
Sista Circle takes place in the CME and no assessment is required, contact our Diversity and Outreach coordinator, Shantila Caston @273-2676 for questions about that support group.