Counseling Center

Counseling Services

About Services

The Counseling Center provides a variety of services to UNI students. Enrolled students paying the mandatory health fee are eligible for a free initial assessment and clinical recommendations.

Individual Counseling

The Counseling Center provides short-term individual counseling. You and your Counselor will discuss the actual number of sessions necessary to address your concerns.  If more than 5 individual therapy sessions are needed, the Counseling Center will file a claim with your health insurance company.

Individual counseling sessions are usually scheduled weekly, every other week,  monthly or scheduled as needed.  

Crisis Services

For a life threatening mental health emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency department.  

Outside of regular office hours, call the Counseling Center at 319-273-2676 and press 2 to speak to a crisis counselor.

Couples Counseling

Married and unmarried students in traditional or non-traditional relationships may receive couples counseling when appropriate. In order to receive couples counseling, at least one member of the couple must be a UNI student who has paid the Mandatory Health Fee.

Group Counseling

GROUP THERAPY temporarily suspended 3/23-4/3.  Current participants call the Counseling Center to arrange individual support if needed.

  • Monday 3:00-4:30 p.m., Anxiety Group.
  • Monday 3:30-5:00 p.m., International Student Support Group.
  • Tuesday 2:00-3:00 p.m., No Phone, New Friends Group.
  • Wednesday 3:30-5:00 pm., Healthy Boundaries Group.
  • Wednesday 5:30-7:00 pm. every other week, Sista Circle - at CME.
  • Thursday 1:00-2:30 pm., Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Group.
  • Friday 1:00-2:30 p.m., Family Relationship Group.
  • Friday  3:00-5:00 pm.  Game to Grow Group.



When appropriate, you may be referred to a Psychiatrist or Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in the Student Health Clinic, or to an off-campus provider, for medication and consultation. You will be responsible for arranging to pay the cost of any prescribed medication or off-campus services, which may be covered by your personal Health Insurance.

After Hours Crisis/Emergency

In case of immediate danger: Call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

For urgent situations outside of office hours: Call the Counseling Center at (319) 273-2676 and press 2 to speak to a crisis counselor.

Statewide Crisis Line:

National Suicide Hotline:
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)